Sunday, January 18, 2015

Therapy Donkey

Ella Bea wondering why her little Mattie is dressed up like Santa...


Little Mattie does "awesome work," according to her new owner, as a therapy donkey for the non-profit international Eagala program in Minnesota.  This equine therapy program, run by professionals, helps improve the lives of those suffering from addiction, depression, and/or trauma.  They have found equine have a way of silently communicating with people in a calm non-judgemental way.  We are so proud of "our" little Mattie and so pleased to have her boarding with us for the winter months.  Once again, she has bonded with her mom, as seen in the picture above.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post which has brought a lot of comfort to me & eased my mind a great deal! I'm one of those "leper" type people because of the massive amount of trauma I've suffered for the past 16 years. People avoid me like the plague, but animals of all types gravitate to me! When I go for a walk in the woods at the retreat center where I go for my yearly retreat, deer, wild turkeys, foxes, & yes, even the owners' donkeys come running out to me & we visit! Their donkeys now know which hermitage I stay in, & occasionally when I go out to the latrine in the morning, will see their hoofprints in the dirt outside my door!! I love these animals as they bring companionship & friendship to my life. Your post let me know that those friendships are just as real as those between humans, & maybe, even more precious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete